Wednesday 22 August 2012

Great Egret!

Well, a happy, happy birthday to Sue, without whom this would have been a Very Long Year and not quite as Big a Year.  She has put up with a lot of craziness this year and is still hanging on to her sanity, even when I have lost mine.


It's sometimes nice to just bird the neighbourhoods around my home and I've been to James Gardens and Colonel Sam and Humber Bay East.  The other day I saw and failed to photograph a Canada Warbler for the third time, in James Gardens.  But did see and photograph a Ruby-throated Hummingbird high in a tree just after an Olive-sided Flycatcher few off.

Yesterday a Great Egret was hanging out in one of the ponds, on one leg, on a rock near the edge, behind the Pavilion.  Everyone who walked by just stopped and looked and many took photos.  I was one of them and it was so close you could almost reach out and touch it.  My first Great Egret here in Canada, so it was a nice treat.

I'm still stuck at 488, but only 2 Weeks and 2 Days until Cape May, and resuming the quest for my 500th bird of 2012.

These are the birdies in my neighbourhood:









No comments:

Post a Comment