Tuesday 2 October 2012

The Final Quarter

3 months to go.  Wow.  I remember thinking on January 1, that this was the first day of the rest of my Big Year.  Well, today feels like the first day of the rest of my Big Year.  While I'd have never thought that, in my first year of birding, I'd be able to see even 500 species, I am now making a full charge toward the finish line and going for 600.

It's not going to be easy.  But even for me, I think it can can be done.  I am returning once again to Arizona and likely Texas.  I will be doing Pelagics out of New Jersey and Florida.  I will be heading down to South Florida for a couple of days, and maybe even to the Dry Tortugas if necessary.  I will go anywhere in Ontario I can drive to in a day to chase whatever shows up, including special trips for Boreal Owl and Sharp-tailed Grouse.

With the baseball season ending on Wednesday, and only a very specific work schedule the rest of the year, I will have plenty of time to go birding the next three months, and will get back to chasing.  I am not looking forward to the cold weather birding, but that comes with the territory.

And I have just booked one of the coolest trips of the year.  The Yellow Rails and Rice Festival in Louisiana.  You actually get to ride a combine through a rice field and watch as the rails are flushed from the grass.  Not sure how many birds I will add on that trip but it has got to be a hoot and a half just to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment