Monday 7 May 2012

A Day Off

Yes, I took a day off from chasing birds today.  Yesterday Sue and I Birded Mount Pleasant Cemetery and Tommy Thompson Park, and I finished on my own at Colonel Sam Smith Park.  Amongst the many birds we did see, only one was new, but it was a good one.  Both Sue and I spotted the Least Flycatcher high in a tree, but it was Sue's keen ear in identifying the call that clinched number 346.  We did get some other good birds along the way, including a Blackburnian Warbler, Northern Flicker, Hermit Thrush, Black-throated Blue and Nashville Warbler, and Sue's first Yellow Warbler of the year.

Today, I had a lot to do, including my annual visit to my accountant to get my taxes done, so chasing was out of the question.  Not that I didn't see any birds, as there were birds around my house and on the feeder, but tomorrow we head to Point Pelee and it will be three straight days of new birds.  I can't remember a day, whether I had to work or not, in recent memory that I haven't gone out, even for a short time, with binoculars and a camera.

Off to bed early tonight, and on the road even earlier tomorrow.  I have been looking forward to Point Pelee since the beginning of the year.  It was the first birding trip we had planned, aside from Florida in February, after I had decided to do a Big Year.  Reports from Pelee already make it the don't miss trip of the spring.  I doubt I'll be able to sleep tonight from the excitement of it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment