Wednesday 4 July 2012

Digi-scoping with iPhone

Happy 4th of July to all you Americans who have made my travels through so many states easy as hotdogs, apple pie and Chevrolet!

Two more sleeps until we head off to Newfoundland.  Yippee....  Another adventure awaits.

So, do you want to digi-scope and save money too?  Sure, we all do!

In that regard, I have been trying to find a good and inexpensive way of digi-scoping with my iPhone and discovered a product on line that looked like it had potential, except for the fact that I'd have to order and pay for it, and it looked ridiculously simple to make on my own.  And, best of all, in 15 minutes, I produced a finished, nearly ready for market product, with very little effort. 

Here is how to make your own iPhone digi-scoping adapter:

1: Find a juice bottle lid, or spice bottle lid or any kind of lid that has a flat back that matches the external diameter of your scope.  Mine happened to work perfectly with a Dole Juice bottle lid I had saved just for that purpose.  I drilled a half inch hole in it.

2: Go into your junk drawer or to the Apple Store and get yourself a iPhone case that covers the back and sides.  A soft rubber one will work best.  

3: Set the lid on the scope and line up the camera on the iPhone with the scope so the lens is centred on the scope to get you the full image in the iPhone screen.  Use a marker to scroll around the phone on the back of the lid and then glue the lid to the case.  

Once dry you can start digi-scoping and don't have to bring a separate camera with you, since you're probably already carrying your iPhone.  And of course we all want to save money.  If you make one, please let me know how it worked for you.

Here are some photos to give you an idea:



Through my back window into the back yard:


A zoomed in image from the scope:




No comments:

Post a Comment