Saturday 14 July 2012

Forked Again?

A Fork-tailed Flycatcher Has Been Reported in the Orlando Area!


And now I have to hope that this bird hangs around for a week, so I can make yet another attempt at getting a Fork-tailed Flycatcher.  I've missed this infernal creature on 3 or 4 occasions this year.  Either it was not about in the reported locations when I arrived, or one appeared somewhere just before or after I had left the area, or in a location I was unable to travel to at the time.

Starting Monday I will be doing a work road trip to Michigan, Nevada and New Hampshire, and finish next Saturday in the Tampa Bay area, and will have Saturday evening and part of Sunday to devote to finding that bird, if it decides to hang around and grant me an audience.   

In the meantime I am home in Toronto this weekend with no birds to chase or find.  There won't be time for birding in Michigan, and probably not in New Hampshire, but I will have a full day to bird outside Las Vegas, and hope to pick up a few extra birds there.

Then, after a week at home from July 24-29, I head out on the road again, just for birding.  I will be down in Arizona picking up summer species along with, hopefully, lots of owls and hummingbirds.  Then I will head north, pick up my car and drive through the midwest, stopping in St Louis for the Eurasian Tree Sparrow and north to Minnesota with a stop at the Sax-Zim Bog.  Hopefully some local birders will come to my aid and help me in my quest for some midwest species.

Here are a few more photos from Newfoundland.  Horned Lark in a parking lot; thousands of Murres, mostly Common, with a few Thick-billed mixed in; and a female Pine Grosbeak:




No comments:

Post a Comment